24 December 2006

A Better HUD?

So one of the ideas that I have played with over the years was having some of the information actually displayed on the windshield instead of in the dash. I mean, why should I take my eyes completely off the road to see if I am speeding? Or even better, why should the nightvision that shows me I am about to hit something be placed in the console of all places?

With advances in OLED and transparent transistors, maybe we could have a thin layer over our window, completely transparent, but that is able to overlay details, nightvision, etc for us. If we had this technology in place, I am sure our car computer (and a few new sensors) could really create something interesting for us.

In fact... If the engine isn't in the front... and if the dash has no gauges... maybe the windshield should be taller and get rid of the dash (for the most part)? Maybe that should be revision 2.

No comments: